ROYALTIES for Peaks in Pakistan
We feel great pleasure in forwarding the notification of the Govt. of Pakistan issued today announcing the following major concessions and incentives.
As you are aware of some of those being introduced for some time now and the govt. is extending them again. Yet some are new incentives being launched as the advent of “the Visit Pakistan Year 2007”.
The measure incentives announced by the government are as follows:
1. ZERO ROYALTY: Peaks upto 6500m during 2007 will be absolutely open to climb. No royalty fee will be charged.
2. TEN PERCENT: All mountains above 6500m situated in Chitral, Gilgit and Gizar will only be charged at 10% of the royalty fee with the exception of Spantik/Golden peak.
3. WINTER SEASON: As a special incentive during the winter season (December to February) all peaks above 6500m will bear a nominal fee of 5% royalty only.
4. HALF ROYALTY FEE: The 50% discount on royalty fee which has been in effect since 2002 to celebrate the ‘Year of Mountains’ will continue on all peaks during 2007 except in case of peaks mentioned in 2 above.
5. LIAISON OFFICER: The services of an LO will not be required by expeditions outside the Baltoro region.
6. PERMIT: Permits will be available for all peaks at one month’s notice.
I hope these measures will be greeted with enthusiasm by fellow mountaineers and adventurers and will result in increased inflow of mountaineers and trekkers in the coming year that as you know Pakistan declared as “Visit Pakistan Year”. Let us make 2007 as a landmark year in Pakistan mountaineering and mountain related activities.
I wish you all the best from Pakistan.
Autor: Nazir Sabir, email@example.com